About Our FM Internship Program
Our Facility Management (FM) Internship program offers an opportunity for students to gain experience as emerging professionals by playing a vital role in the Smithsonian’s daily operations. Understanding the built environment will help you excel in any career choice. FM Interns work closely with supervisors and mentors on active OFMR projects and initiatives. The Office of Facilities Management and Reliability (OFMR) currently offers Academic and Technical Track FM Internships. All majors and recent graduates are welcome to apply!
Academic Track FM Internships are for students pursuing a bachelor or graduate degree who want to learn more about the built environment. Recent graduates are also encouraged to apply. Academic Track Internship opportunities focus on strategic projects that our team is working on such as project management, sustainability, technology, engineering, strategic initiatives, and more. All majors are welcome to apply!
Technical Track FM Internships are for students in formal training or apprenticeship programs in crafts and trade fields. Students will learn about and practice Maintenance and Operations skills that are used everyday at the Smithsonian. Technical Track Internship participants receive mentorship from our Facility Leaders at the Smithsonian.
Why choose a Facility Management Internship?
- All OFMR Interns have assigned robust projects that will help our team with active projects
- Our Interns work closely with their supervisor and mentors to develop their professional skills and gain valuable experience
- OFMR offers professional development workshops, behind the scenes tours, and other exciting opportunities
- The profession of facility management is growing
The built environment is comprised of multiple disciplines including:
- Technology, Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, Sustainability, and more!
During their time with us every intern
- Contributes their talents to supporting the Smithsonian’s mission
- Participates in professional development opportunities including “back of the house” facilities tours
- Learns about the importance of facility management in successful organizations
- Benefits from networking opportunities throughout the internship experience
- Presents their project to senior facility leaders